A blog about my work and the way it happens. Things I see, hear, feel and find interesting, funny, odd or just plain curious. News about Everything and Anything Art wise, Expected or Unexpected. This blog is an open work diary for myself, and you are very welcome to follow me on my journey...

torsdag den 4. september 2008

The First Art Class

Yesterday was the first day of my art class for kids. I was quite anxious throughout the day. I knew I had four students signed up and I looked forward to meet them. I was preparing most of the day by getting paint, tables and chairs ready, and I was excited at 4 p m when I heard the first knock on the door... The kids were all great: sweet, quiet and very very shy... It is funny how I always forget how they are (obviously) extremely shy on the first day when nobody knows each other. It is interesting how contagious it is! I felt it myself, as I was trying to get them involved in a chat about primary colors, the fun of mixing colors, and Matisse’s work...
The first lesson was about colors, how they effect each other and how to mix the right shade. I was very impressed with their results, and happy to see how they all were into their paintings, spending a lot of time and concentration on the details. I know they didn’t want to talk, so I left them alone most of the time... I see myself in them totally - when I was 8-10, no way would I have involved myself in a conversation on the first day. So I hope (and feel sure) they will loosen up as we get used to each other. They were all great - that has got to be a great beginning. Next week is drawing a still life, I better come up with a funny, unusual & very visual decoration... I have some good ideas! I look forward - and I do hope my little group does too!