A blog about my work and the way it happens. Things I see, hear, feel and find interesting, funny, odd or just plain curious. News about Everything and Anything Art wise, Expected or Unexpected. This blog is an open work diary for myself, and you are very welcome to follow me on my journey...

mandag den 8. september 2008

The Right Typeface

I like the use of letters in paintings. I like them for their meaning as well as their visual presence. It is interesting how a certain font makes you think of something. They can provoke feelings, almost like a smell or a song - I think so anyway. And when put together, the combinations even hold a meaning - quite fascinating. As some may have noticed, I often use letters in my work too. When I have the word or sentence I want to use, I go the computer and experiment with different fonts.

Sometimes it takes a very long time to find the perfect one, other times I know what it is going to be, even before I sit down... I remember my professor in Brighton once said that he thought “Broadway” was one of the ugliest fonts ever. I don’t agree (although it is not my favorite either) but now I always think of his statement when I see it. To me it just scream out Charleston, art deco and silent movies... Not at all that bad! It seems like a very personal thing to take a dislike to a font - much like a song or a color.

I have a favorite font when it comes to writing a letter or text: “Garamond” is so nice, clean simple and easy to read. But when it comes to a visual part in a painting I like all different kinds of fonts for all different reasons...

“Old English” is one of those interesting fonts that looks very old/classical but have gotten a serious comeback. (- I believe Guan Stefani’s brand L.A.M.B is using a font very similar) “Cracked” is interesting in a cartoonish way. It is very graphic, but works well in the right context.

My latest “find” is “American Typewriter” which is a great writing font, simple, but (in my opinion) very stylish...

I was trying to think of a font I hate, but I can’t think of one at the top of my head. I am not loving “Casual” (for no real reason) but I can’t say I am hating it either... Hmmm. May have to come back with an update when I come across the ultimate ugliest font, according to me...!