A blog about my work and the way it happens. Things I see, hear, feel and find interesting, funny, odd or just plain curious. News about Everything and Anything Art wise, Expected or Unexpected. This blog is an open work diary for myself, and you are very welcome to follow me on my journey...

tirsdag den 2. februar 2010

Reworking an old painting

Once I was being asked if I ever continued to work on painting after I considered it done, after showing it, perhaps even years later. I remember thinking that was a strange question - only because I had never even considered it. I feel that at some point the painting ‘closes’ and it is almost as if you can’t get into it again, even if you want to. But I also like the feeling of being done, and moving on, to new projects.

I made this painting ‘Diva’ a few years ago - about three, I think. I have showed it in a couple of exhibitions, and also used it in promotional material.


When we moved to Guam it was soon after hung over our bed, and I would look at it every night, before going to sleep. Suddenly I started seeing things in it that wasn’t right. The texture of the skin looked strangely see through, and the eyes were too wide open - all in all, I took it down and it went back into my studio.


I was not sure if this was a good idea or not, but a bit intrigued to get started. It took me only one afternoon - between other paintings - to come to a new result. A result I am very happy with. Maybe because it had been so long, it felt like a new face, a new painting.

And because I felt the painting was a different one all together, I decided to add it to the (generally) newer paintings I am showing at SUGAR & SPICE, here on Guam...