A blog about my work and the way it happens. Things I see, hear, feel and find interesting, funny, odd or just plain curious. News about Everything and Anything Art wise, Expected or Unexpected. This blog is an open work diary for myself, and you are very welcome to follow me on my journey...

onsdag den 10. februar 2010

The intimidating White Canvas

Starting a new painting - for some reason - can be quite intimidating. Personally I never liked the white canvas, starring at you, waiting to be covered with your ideas, thoughts and paint...

Only within the past few years I’ve come up with a way of making this start to a painting a little smoother - now I first layer a thin collage and paint it blue before I begin my work. To me, this subtle change makes a big difference. The fact that you spend time preparing the canvas before starting the actual piece makes it a lot easier. And personally I think blue is a better (softer) start than white.


In Dec 08, my husband gave me a HUGE canvas as a Christmas gift. I was both excited and a bit scared to get started. Then there was the move to Guam, I got busy with other things, and it wasn’t until this past fall I actually began the painting. The canvas is measuring 4 ft by 6 ft. This is a very new size to me - I am not used to paint on such a large scale, and it is a very different way of working. You have to get far back with almost every stroke of paint, as you can’t overlook the painting as a whole.


The image I first started I got stocked on for a few months, and I decided to leave this idea, and instead start over. Right now, as I am writing this, the canvas is (once again) covered in blue, and soon I’ll sketch a new drawing in charcoal, as a beginning to a new image.