A blog about my work and the way it happens. Things I see, hear, feel and find interesting, funny, odd or just plain curious. News about Everything and Anything Art wise, Expected or Unexpected. This blog is an open work diary for myself, and you are very welcome to follow me on my journey...

tirsdag den 25. maj 2010

Honolulu Academy Of Arts

Today I went on a little art expedition, all by myself. One I had been looking forward to: the Honolulu Academy of Arts. I took a taxi from the Hotel, although it wasn’t actually very far. I just wanted (at all cost) to avoid getting lost in the city! I didn’t know what to expect. You never do when all the Information you have is an Internet page and a place you have never even heard of.

I was simply looking forward to ART and to the experience. I did not get disappointed. It was an amazing place, and definitely worth a visit. The Gallery did not look that big from the outside, but I quickly found out that it was indeed huge. Many small rooms, and so many kinds of art: Egyptian, Italian Renaissance, Chinese, Islam - just to mention a few. and also modern Western Art - which is my favorite, I have to admit. In the collection were Warhol, Katz, O’Keefe. And also Dale Chihuly, to whom we probably got a bit overexposed while living in Tacoma, where he lives and works too. But it was nice and slightly nostalgic to see his work again. I enjoyed every moment, being surrounded by art, looking at it, taking it in. Sitting on the wood benches in the middle of a room with paintings on each wall, and smelling that special museum scent - of oil, thoughts, dust and varnish. Going through the many little courtyards, flipping through art books in the Museum Store, and eating a great lunch in the Museum Cafe. On a small scale I absolutely got that “MoMA feeing” which I have missed so many times since leaving NJ. So here I am, Tuesday night, writing on my laptop in the fancy Hilton Lobby. Feeling quite happy, enjoying my personal little (art) high and hoping it will last, at least for a while...