A blog about my work and the way it happens. Things I see, hear, feel and find interesting, funny, odd or just plain curious. News about Everything and Anything Art wise, Expected or Unexpected. This blog is an open work diary for myself, and you are very welcome to follow me on my journey...

tirsdag den 4. maj 2010

Art Movies

I love movies about artists and their lives! At least some of them! Over time I have build up a small library of these type movies. I like them for very different reasons...


My absolute favorite is FRIDA, about Frida Kahlo. I think the creativity that went into this movie is mind blowing, and I think Selma Hayek is very believable as the artist. The explosion of colors and the beautiful scenes in this movie are overwhelming and so esthetically pleasing. (And then I do love Frida’s work as well!)

Another favorite of mine is POLLOCK, about Jackson Pollock. I think Ed Harris is great as the main character, and so is Marcia Gay Harden, as the artist’s wife. I am not a huge fan of Pollock’s work, but the movie tells a truly fascination story about an artist and a very troubled man.

The movie CARRINGTON about the British artist Dora Carrington is also among my favorites. She is part of the Bloomsbury Group, and both the bohemian sense of this group and the time period are told very well through this movie, I think. I have more, but these are just a few...


One movie I have, but that I am not crazy about is MODIGLIANI. I very much like the artist Modigliani, but I just don’t think Andy Garzia is the right choice for the character. I keep being taken out of the movie, it doesn’t come together for me. Perhaps that’s just me?!


Now that I sit here on Guam, fairly isolated from art, museums and galleries, I enjoy to watch one of these movies once in a while. The stories are from different times, from different places in the world, and depict very different artist’s visions and lives.