A blog about my work and the way it happens. Things I see, hear, feel and find interesting, funny, odd or just plain curious. News about Everything and Anything Art wise, Expected or Unexpected. This blog is an open work diary for myself, and you are very welcome to follow me on my journey...

tirsdag den 16. marts 2010

How Long Does A Painting Take?

I am often asked “how long does it take you to make one of your paintings?” It is one of those questions that are absolutely impossible to answer! In the past - years ago - I tried to time the process, just for fun, and to (possibly) get a general idea. I quickly learned it was an impossible task, and there is no point. Every painting is a different journey, and the canvas size often has very little to do with it. The last two paintings I worked on, seemed to be working against me in different ways and different areas. But what they had in common: they both took me days, weeks, months...

Recently I wrote a blog about the process of the painting “Wannabe”. And although the piece took a disproportionate amount of time, and I was extremely frustrated, I refused to give up. And (luckily) it was worth it, I do like the result.


Seen in that light, today was very surprising, as I had the opposite experience. I went to my studio this morning, eager to start a new painting, after being stuck in there for so long, in front of the same canvas. By the end of the day, I am very surprised to find myself with a finished painting. I can’t think of the last time I finished a piece in one day... Must have been decades! With the exception of my small women studies, it has always been unthinkable to start a painting in the morning, and be done at night. It was fun and refreshing. And once again I am intrigued by the process, and how my work seems to have a life of its own. At some point the painting closes, and you can’t find your way back in. I try to listen to the piece, and I read it as a sign it must be done.