A blog about my work and the way it happens. Things I see, hear, feel and find interesting, funny, odd or just plain curious. News about Everything and Anything Art wise, Expected or Unexpected. This blog is an open work diary for myself, and you are very welcome to follow me on my journey...

tirsdag den 27. januar 2009

First Painting 2009

Looking back, I (subconsciously) seem to change things up in January. I always look over my work in the beginning of a new year: materials, direction, statement etc. and generally think it over. I usually know exactly where I am going with a painting, even before I begin. I am planning ahead, and can almost see the finished piece in my mind.


This painting was different - on purpose. I wanted to work more loosely, and had only decided on the main figure and color scheme, but what else was going to happen in the picture, as well as a title, I did not know.


As I went along, I painted these water lilly-like flowers, very quickly and with runny watery paint. I started to think of the painting as “Water Lilly”. But as the flowers appeared, and also covered the dress, I realized that it was a different painting I was working on; instead of it being “Water Lilly”, it suddenly turned in to “Wallflower” instead. Very interesting I thought - and very unexpected.

I clearly like to be in control of my work, know where I am going and to have (at least some kind of) an idea of the final outcome. But it is also very exciting when the painting leads you.


Another change in this piece (as well as in the next two pieces I am currently working on) is that the canvas is covered in a plain white paper collage, purely for texture, but there is no additional collage involved.


I’ll keep playing, and should perhaps be more open to letting things happen as I go and listen to the painting, instead of just listening to me.