A blog about my work and the way it happens. Things I see, hear, feel and find interesting, funny, odd or just plain curious. News about Everything and Anything Art wise, Expected or Unexpected. This blog is an open work diary for myself, and you are very welcome to follow me on my journey...

torsdag den 29. oktober 2009

The Guam Gallery of Art

“Visitor”

New small portrait, I made specifically for the show, “Orange Spondylus Night”,

in celebration of the Chamorro culture and in remembrance of the ancestors.

A few weeks ago, I was invited to a meeting in the Guam Gallery of Art, in the Chamorro Village. It was a very memorable night, where I (as well as Moe, a friend of a friend) met the owner of the gallery, Filamore Palomo Alcon. Among many things, we talked about art, the gallery, Chamorro culture, and ways to promote art. Fil mentioned that by the end of October he was going to have a special event, an “Orange Spondylus Night”.


The Spondylus is an orange shellfish, and the central element for this celebration. Therefore the theme color is orange in every shape and form, and Fil invited me to bring a (orange inspired) piece of work for the show. I went home, thought of it, and decided to do a small portrait of a Scandinavian women, a visitor in the Guam culture. I still feel very new here, the culture is different to anything I have ever known, and I do feel like a visitor. So that was a suiting motif to me.


Yesterday I went to the Chemorro Village to bring the small piece, as well as my portfolio for display. Fil was excited about the event tomorrow night. We are planning to stop by - preferable wearing something orange, I was told!... Have to go through my closet, I don’t think that is the domineering color...










The Guam Gallery of Art in the Chamorro Village