A blog about my work and the way it happens. Things I see, hear, feel and find interesting, funny, odd or just plain curious. News about Everything and Anything Art wise, Expected or Unexpected. This blog is an open work diary for myself, and you are very welcome to follow me on my journey...

fredag den 3. oktober 2008

# 5 Art Class

This week, we were going to explore illustration. We talked about various kinds of illustration as well as what purpose they serve. H. C Andersen is my favorite fairy tale writer, I simply love his complex and poetic tales (and then he is a great Dane!). I had decided that we were going go illustrate Princess And The Pea - because it is a pretty short story and because it is full of visual scenes. We made a good long list of parts that would be great to draw and got started. This week we worked with paper and color pencil, I like to work with as many different mediums as possible in this 12 week course.

Tuesday was actually a school holiday, and I sensed a lot of extra condensed energy in the room, a need for chatting, giggling and dancing, and we had to re-focus a few times!

But, the work turned out great, a few students picked the scene when the princess knocked on the door in the dreadful weather, but naturally they were very different, and from different angles.

We also got a picture of the princess entering the door (with a beautiful long shadow!) the queen making the bed with all the mattresses, as well as a close up of the hand with the pea in it.

The prince traveling around the world looking for a ‘real’ princess also got his illustration, and so did the pea in a display case in a museum.

By the end of the day we put them in order, and they managed to (almost) tell the entire story.